I love a useful product that works for both knit and crochet!
What Is the Skerin “Best Darn Yarn Tender”©?
You might have also heard these called yarn bras.
Have you ever had to deal with a ball of yarn that didn’t cooperate? It came apart, leaving unwieldy yarn everywhere and tangled all on itself. Or, you wanted to store it with other yarn and it grabbed different yarns and made a big mess.
Well, enter Skerin’s “Best Darn Yarn Tenders”© on Amazon.
How Do Best Darn Yarn Tenders Work?
Any center-pull skein, ball, or cake can be inserted into a yarn tender. They’re 14 inches long and come in two sizes – the large size for 6-16 oz. skeins and the small size for skeins 6 oz. or less.
A 16-oz. pounder skein is accommodated by ganging two yarn tenders (see the photo below for multiple uses). Just stretch the tender to go around the ball and you’re good to go, snag-free!
The tenders perform like panty hose, holding everything in place. The yarn flows easily from the tender – down to the last pull.
- 7 oz skein in a tender
- pounder ganged with two tenders
- small skein that had “yarn barf” which was rewound center-pull style to be reinserted into the tender so that the tender could continue to be used.
- a skein that was totally in tangles upon opening; untangled until an initial center-pull ball could be wound and then reinserted.
- an example of yarn barf before rewinding into a center pull ball.
For a small one-ounce ball, the tender can easily be folded back. When you do this, it even makes the compression greater for the small amount, and the pulling of the yarn continues to flow beautifully (see the pic of the cupcake in the yellow tender as an example).
What I Do
There are multiple ways I have found to use the tenders.
I did find that if I include the wrapper in the tender, care is needed so as not to tear the net. They’re very soft but absolutely get the job done.
I also found that it’s not a good idea to cut a tender, as that will alter its integrity. Instead, just make some folds, as shown in the photo of the one-ounce pink ball cupcake above.
Some people have posted that they also use them to store multiple yarns, both new and partial amounts. The compression keeps the yarn intact and prevents tangling with other yarn in the stash.
Win a Set of Yarn Tenders
Looking for a way to keep your yarn better protected from itself or other yarns in your stash or in WIPS? Skerin’s “Best Darn Yarn Tenders” might be a great solution for you!
Just leave a comment on this post to be entered in the giveaway!* You could win a full set of Best Darn Tenders – 18 Small and 18 Large.
* The fine print – Open to mailing addresses in the U.S. only. One entry per person. Leaving a comment on this post enters you into the contest and subscribes you to the Knotions weekly newsletter. This contest runs until 11:59 PM EST on February 28, 2018.
Good luck to everyone!